Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Blog of the Week, Vol. 1, No. 19

A few weeks ago I highlighted The New Republic's blog site and said I would reciprocate with a conservative blog site. I have been a little busy and have not made that next Blog of the Week article until now. So with no further ado, here is the Blog of the Week looking at The American Conservative.

     I can't say I am a big fan of this site, but compared to many other conservative sites, this one is actually pretty good. It is published by the American Ideas Institute (yes, I realize that some institute, foundation, or thinktank is behind many of the liberal and conservative blog sites) and promotes in their own words, "conservatism of realism and reform." Compared to the usual incompetent political rhetoric and lack of facts at most sites that advertise themselves as conservative, this one is downright honest. Basically, these people are the type that you can sit down and have an intelligent conversation with and skip the political rhetoric.

     The articles are worth reading. I like being able to read some articles that make sense and use facts to support the logic instead of bold claims that have no merit. I am not sure how many on the right feel about this site. I have seen several of the articles cited by moderates, but next to none by those who champion the more extreme side of conservative politics. That makes me wonder just how much attention this blog commands.

     I also have not seen it endorse any candidate for president as of yet. I haven't even seen a clue as to who it might endorse. If anything, it seems to be rejecting all of them so far. In fact, many articles have been negative for almost all of the candidates as far as I can tell. I have a feeling they know what is coming in November of 2016 and are looking beyond to rebuilding the Republican Party so that it appeals to more Americans instead of just those on the far right of the spectrum. We shall see how that goes.

     I like the blog because I can read some good articles without the ridiculousness of what is currently passing for political conversation on the right. If the US is going to continue to exist it will have to do so with the input of both left and right, not just one side. History shows that, but unfortunately some people are not paying attention to history. The American Conservative is paying attention. Considering that The American Conservative was created in opposition to the Iraq War back in 2002 and it encouraged its readers to vote Democratic in 2006, it is very clear that this is a site that is not afraid to reject the lunacy that has infected the GOP recently.

     This is what America needs more of whether it be liberal or conservative. It needs dialogue built on respect and facts, not rhetoric. So if you are looking for a blog that is not liberal, but not catering to the lunatic fringe, give The American Conservative a try. You may not hear what you want to hear all the time, but then again you may hear what you should be hearing instead of some fantasy.

No comments:

Post a Comment